A bedazzling theatrical recreation of Eric Carle’s imaginative stories, The Very Hungry Caterpillar Show has landed in New York once again to delight children of all ages, and adults alike. The magical 60-minute show faithfully adapts four of Eric Carle’s beloved books for the stage; and includes the World Premiere of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, and 3 other classic favorites: 10 Little Rubber Ducks, The Very Lonely Firefly and, of course, The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar Theater Show: Perfect for Kids
Jonathan Rockefeller’s critically-acclaimed The Very Hungry Caterpillar Show will hold performances through February 4, 2018, at Union Square’s DR2 Theater. The show lasts 60 minutes, and is the perfect length for fidgety kids and first theater experiences, and guaranteed to create a genuine interest in theater for all in attendance.
Above: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, the book is celebrating its 50th anniversary; Below: 10 Little Rubber Ducks, and The Very Lonely Firefly
The Very Hungry Caterpillar Theater Show: From Page to Stage
Author and illustrator extraordinaire Eric Carle has delighted generations of children, and has sold over 43 million copies of books world wide. The acclaimed theater adaptation was created by Jonathan Rockefeller, and follows the book faithfully, from narration to the perfect visual creation of the puppets and staging. The New York show features four of his classics: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, 10 Little Rubber Ducks, The Very Lonely Firefly and of course, the star of the show – The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
The collection of charming puppet characters used during The Hungry Caterpillar performance.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar Theater Show: Puppets
The Very Hungry Caterpillar Show is told through a menagerie of 75 lovable puppets that were faithfully adapted from Eric Carle’s stories. The careful attention to the detailing of the puppets make them incredibly lovable, and instantly relatable, and beautifully capture the author’s famous painted paper collage illustrations. . From moving arms and legs, to adorable tails that wag – the puppets were not only charming, but also brought darling personality to the stage. The talented puppeteers bring these extraordinary characters to life through thoughtful movements and actions, and help them engage with the audience and other puppets.
Watching these familiar friends come straight off the page and glide magically across the stage was an incredible experience.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar, premium show experiences
The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Premium and VIP Experiences
The theater show offers very special packages for the biggest Eric Carle fans. VIP and Premium Experiences include guaranteed seating in the first two rows, a keepsake drawstring bag, a free download of “10 Little Rubber Ducks” film & a post-show photo with the puppets. More on these amazing experiences HERE.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar – A Colorful Show and Experience for all ages
Catch this show before it flies away! The Very Hungry Caterpillar Show runs through February 4th of 2018
Know Before You Go:
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Show runs for 55 minutes with no intermission.
- There is a snack bar with a range of kid-friendly snacks including jucie boxes, peeled fruit, cookies, and more.
- $5 ‘lap seating’ for children under the age of 1 can be purchased at venue day of performance.
- Note that there are stairs to enter the theater. While there is unsupervised stroller storage available, the space is very limited. If possible, its best to leave the stroller at home.
- All of the performances are inclusive and have been designed to be autism-friendly, and are open to all children and families with sensory issues. They also offer ‘Autism Friendly’ Shows, more information on these HERE.
- There is a gift shop counter that offers very cute hard-to-resist stuffed Caterpillar friends as well as books for purchase.
Location and Tickets
- DR2 Theatre at Union Square – 103 East 15th Street, NY
- Ticket prices start at $49.50* – $69.50* (Premium Seats) and $89.50* (VIP)
- Tickets and More Information HERE
A big thank you to The Hungry Caterpillar Team for sponsoring our experience. As always, all reviews and opinions are of our own.